LiFi | Future Internet Light Based WiFi
One step ahead of the field of wireless communication system, which eradicates all the disadvantages of wifi is LiFi.
In simple, LiFi is the future of wifi with the addition of secure, fast and many more exciting features.
It’s time to forget WiFi, moving with its future LiFi.
What is LiFi?
- LiFi is the optical networking technology, in which light acts as the medium of data transmission.
- Bidirectional, Fully Networked Technology with Boosting speed up to 224GBPS.
- Li-fi is the transmission of data through illuminations.
Founder of LiFi
University of Edinburgh Professor Harald Haas during a TED Talk in 2011.Referring to as “Data through Illumination”.Haas found that Light bulbs that could as Wireless Router.
Components Of LiFi Technology
- High Brightness LED which acts as the Transmission source.
- Receiving element used in this technology is silicon photodiode, which has the good response to visible light.
- Optical carriers for data transmission is the visible light of electromagnetic waves, having the spectrum between 400THZ and 800THZ.
Important factors should be considered while designing Li-fi
- Presence of Light
- For Better Performance use Florescent light and LED.
Working of LiFi
- The main attraction in the working part of LiFi is the usage of led. Due to it’s higher operating speed of 1microseconds, it makes the light source to move continuously. This activity of ON-OFF makes the transmission using binary codes.
- In order to switch ON (logical 1), switch OFF(logical 0), it is necessary to encode the data in the light.
- Faster modulation can be achieved by every light that is transmitting data.
- The important improvement is the use of the array of LEDs which are connected in parallel for data transmission. The mixture of red, green, blue LED’s helps to alter the light frequency. Each frequency encodes a different data channel. These features help to give data speed of 10GBPS.
How LiFi Different from Wi-Fi?
|Data transfer speed||> 1GBPS||150MBPS|
|Medium of data transfer||Light as a carrier||Radio spectrum|
|Spectrum Range||visible light spectrum||Radio Frequency spectrum|
|Cost.||Cheaper than WiFi||Expensive in comparison to Li-fi|
|Free band installation||Necessary to install||Not necessary to install|
|Operating Frequency of light||100 to Tera HZ.||2.4 GHz|
|STANDARD||IEEE 802.15.7.||IEEE 802.1|
Applications of LiFi Technology
- Education System
- Medical Application
- Cheaper internet in Aircraft
- Underwater Application
- Disaster Management
- Traffic management
- Mobile connectivity
Limitations of LiFi
- The Light source is very important in the transmission of data, so without a light source, we can’t access the internet.
- Data transmission through light requires perfect line of sight.
- If any opaque obstacles are present in its path, it will affect the data transmission.
- More chances that data transmission may be deviated by the presence of sunlight, normal electromagnetic lights.
- Initial investment cost is more.
- It uses full-fledged data network.
As we conclude that light is everywhere and free to use, there is greater scope for use and evaluation of Li-fi Technology.
Today, significant numbers of researchers and companies are working for the success of LiFi technology. Let’s hope for the high internet connection speed with LiFi.